The Peninsula Kingswood Country Golf Club

Founded in 1925, Peninsula was the dream of Scottish course designer Gordon Bernard Oliver and land speculator William Towler who envisaged an American-style golf resort set on broad acres at Frankston.

About the Club

Oliver, a member of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews, designed 27 holes – 18 for the men and nine for the ladies – the first 11 of which opened for play in December 1923.

A small group then took the initial steps to acquire the property for the purpose of establishing a private country golf club. Eventually the club was to be known as The Peninsula Country Golf Club.

In the early 1960s a decision was made to build a new clubhouse at the present location, and to create two 18-hole courses. New Zealand designer Sloan Morpeth incorporated six of Oliver’s holes from the original course into his designs for the new North and South courses, set amongst 450 acres of beautiful native bushland.

In September of 2013 The Peninsula Country Golf Club officially merged with Kingswood Golf Club, the first merger of two golf clubs in Australia. The Peninsula Kingswood Country Golf Club, as it is now formally knows provides members and guests a first class private Club that offers the very best in sandbelt golf through three separate courses with state of the art facilities.

A true ‘Country Club’ since its inception, Peninsula offers 41 twin-share accommodation rooms and a range of non-golf facilities. It is also known for the quality of the food service and the extensive Wine List. Regular visitors have been staying at Peninsula for over 40 years enjoying the Club as their home away from home.

Design Features

While the South has long been known as one of Australia’s tough and testing championship courses, the North has recently come into its own after remodelling. One of Australia’s top golf writers and authors called it ‘the best course renovation ever completed in Australia’ (Australia’s Best Golf Courses, D Oliver, 2003).

Photography by David Scaletti

Both courses have hosted important amateur and professional events and are known for their excellent couch fairways, bent grass greens and traditional sandbelt bunkering.

North Course

The renovated North Course is designed to advantage those who plan their way around the course rather than simply ‘blaze away’. It is not a long course, it is one that resists scoring by strategy rather than length. Several holes offer the player options that are affected by handicap, form, weather or the even state of the match. Choosing the correct option is the first key to unravelling this course.

South Course

The South Course at Peninsula has traditionally been known as our Championship course. While renovations to the North Course have elevated it to Championship level also, the South remains the difficult challenge it has always been. Beginning in 2004, this course went through a major renovation by Michael Clayton Golf Design however the changes retained the existing feel. The South remains a ‘big’ course, it is long with wide fairways, large bunkers and big greens. When playing Peninsula South, be prepared to have every part of your game tested.

Course Highlight

12th North, PAR 4, 370 Metres

The North Course at Peninsula was rebuilt ten years ago and the one hole improved the most was the par four 12th.

Previously the tee was forward and left, making for a dreadful tee shot around trees to a semi-blind fairway. The tee came back, adding length and forcing players to drive accurately along the hogsbacked fairway. Anything turning left kicks down into a sandy waste and a shot going the other way hits the opposite side of the slope and kicks right. The skyline green at the top of the dune is exposed to the winds and only a well-struck and properly flighted shot finds the difficult target.

Photography by David Scaletti